Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Interlude (WW1)

Here we go again
March! March 1 march 1
Into some village
Where everything is crushed

The pain in my feet
The water in my socks
All I'm waiting for
Is the morning cocks

The morning arrives
We pass houses with women and children inside
The look at us as if we are so strange
But what can I say we live in a cage

My friend and I go into a house
A grandma and grandpa welcome us
We go in side and just walk pass

I take my shoes and socks off
Trench foot they say
They look like if flesh
Just faded away

“My poor thing “she says
And bandages my legs
With oil and water
I feel like such an egg

She says she has two sons
Like my friend and I
She shows me upstairs
And says the woman is mine

Packages are delivered  
Which means someone is dead
Or just injured
Maybe that the one instead

She acts like a mother to us
We act like her sons
Like family
We complete the uncompleted ones

She tells us stories about her sons
Her husband agrees
We think about them
Like the forgotten ones
New recruits arrive
Were not the new ones now
And when we look at them
They take a bowl

We do drills again
2 hours a day
We become stronger
In the ground as we lay

I get 2 new chevrons
My friend becomes an officer
We still stay close
And make each other stronger

A month goes by
We finally move on
And I promise my new mother
Than I would keep my feet strong

She gives me food
And a kiss on my cheek
We are surrounded by new soldiers
They  are just full of defeat

We just sit there and smile

1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely poem!

    And its true, feet are very important in life.

    ReplyDelete